Saturday, July 28, 2007

A FARM AUCTION

I went to a farm auction this morning which is really something I don't care much to do but this one was just a couple of miles from home and a few days ago I had seen something that I was interested in.

Among the things being sold was this horse drawn Oliver cultivator. It was in good shape and might have been nice to have. Beside it is a well rusted John Deere model.

Another item I would like to have. It’s a self-unloading corn wagon that was manufactured in Maria Stein, Ohio in the early part of the last century. It was missing its original wheels and axles but the lettering on the box was still readable. It sold for $950.

A couple of tractors, both of which seemed to run pretty well. The Allis-Chalmers WD-45 sold for $2,300. The Deere 4010 went for $6,900. When the 4010 went into production in 1960 the company’s future rested squarely on its success or failure. it sold new for about $4,300. Its introduction marked the end of the Johnny Popper engine, whose origins dated back to the Waterloo Boy.

The reason why I attended the auction was this 1983 20’ pontoon boat which had a 25 hp Johnson outboard. and a single axle Hoosier trailer. The boat had 18" diameter pontoons and wasn't as nice as Phil's boat but it was the trailer I wanted. Although not as ideal as a double axle it does support the toons on rails. The wheels were the same size and had the same bolt pattern as the wheels on Phil’s trailer. I thought if I might happen to be able to buy the boat for no more than $2,500 the wheels/tires could be switched and the trailer swapped for Phil’s. Then I would clean and resell it. The net gain would be a trailer with a wider less tippy stance and support rails. However unsurprisingly it sold for $3,800. RMB


No comments: